[DPRG] connecting to a motor output shaft

Subject: [DPRG] connecting to a motor output shaft
From: Patrick Innes kc5ugq at yahoo.com
Date: Wed Jul 11 17:25:29 CDT 2001

Offhand, I'm not really sure about the dimensions
you're looking at for the shaft, but if it's about 1/4
inch or so, you might try a hobby shop.

Onroad "pan cars" use a 1/4" axle in the rear end to
transmit the power to the wheels.  One side of the
differential goes directly to a spline that the wheel
bolts to, but the other end goes out a 1/4" shaft
(steel, aluminum, carbon fiber, etc.) to the wheel on
the opposite (left) side of the car.  The left wheel's
drive spline is built to simply slip over the axle and
tighten with a set screw that constricts the diameter
of the hole that the axle goes into, clamping around
the outside of the shaft, rather than trying to
set-screw directly into the side of the shaft.

If your shaft is smaller than that, you may need to
come up with some other way to clamp down on it, but
the same general idea can be found in a number of
different applications.

Alternately, if your motor originally came with a gear
on the output shaft, and it's big enough, and has a
flat face (a lot of 'if's) you may be able to drill
and tap some holes into the sides of it and use it as
a mounting plate.

Hopes this helps!

-- Patrick
   KC5UGQ