[DPRG] Slightly OT - C, Windows, and ports

Subject: [DPRG] Slightly OT - C, Windows, and ports
From: Jeffrey T. Birt ditto at ipa.net
Date: Sun Jul 22 17:53:45 CDT 2001

In an effort to educate myself in programming in C and C++ I'm trying to
program a simple CNC control under Windows 95.  I have a homemade PC port
interface to control the yet to be built CNC machine.  I'm using the
Metroworks compiler.  Also, what I know about programming for the Windows OS
you could fit into a thimble.

Now for the questions, The Metroworks compiler does not have the outport or
inport functions in its stdio.h library.  I would assume this is due to the
fact that under Windows a DLL is supposed to be the link between the
application and the hardware, correct?  If so, then I need to write a DLL to
talk to the parallel port and application?  Or, can I even fiddle directly
with the parallel port in Windows?

Clueless in Missouri,

Jeff Birt
Halfway, Missouri