[DPRG] current conversion

Subject: [DPRG] current conversion
From: Mike McCarty jmccarty at ssd.usa.alcatel.com
Date: Tue Jul 24 09:32:06 CDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, montgomery f. tidwell wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> is there a single component that will take in ~ 5V-18V but
> only put out 5V? if so, what is it.
>
> TIA

Let me restate your question as I understand it.

You have a voltage source which is unregulated, and may vary from about
15V to 18V DC. You need a regulated 5V voltage source. You want to know
whether there is a component which does this.

The answer is yes, it is called a voltage regulator. If you need only a
moderate amount of current, up to about an Ampere or so, then the LM7805
does what you want. It requires 7.5V at least at the input, and can take
up to about 40V.

Mike