[DPRG] current conversion [and much more]

Subject: [DPRG] current conversion [and much more]
From: Elliot Johnson elliotjo at yahoo.com
Date: Tue Jul 24 12:05:42 CDT 2001

> i've created a line-follower that has (a) Super
> TComp, (b) LCD Serial
> Backpack, (c) 4 HS303 servos, (d) custom line sensor
> with 3 LED/CDS
> pairs. (a) was powered by a 9V, and everything else
> came from a 5V
> line off (a).
>
> the input requirements are: (a) 6-26V, (b) 4.8-5.5V,
> (c)4.8-6V,
> (d) 5V (much higher and the LEDs burn out).
>
> i have found that if more than one servo is active,
> the LCD goes
> blank. i assume that the servos are taking too much
> power for the
> LCD to operate.
>
> so i thought that it might be better to have one 9V
> for (a), and
> one something else (regulated to 5V) for everything
> else. i don't
> really want a different battery for every part.
>
> whew. now what do you suggest?

Two batteries are a nice solution if you can afford
the space.  One battery can provide a regulated
voltage for logic parts and the other can power your
servos.

It will also help (and maybe be necessary) to put a
few capacitors in parallel between 5+ and ground to
filter out ripples in the power supply.  I was having
a similiar problem with a robot I'm working on.
Whenever to motors made a sudden start, the robot
stopped responding.  I placed a few 0.1F capacitors
between 5+ and ground and that fixed everything.

Check out this SRS article too:
http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/feb97/powerup.html