[DPRG] current conversion

Subject: [DPRG] current conversion
From: Ralph Tenny rten at metronet.com
Date: Wed Jul 25 14:33:03 CDT 2001

Montgomery:
I'm not sure that your question was totally answered.

The only mechanism that can take in unregulated 5V-18V and give you
regulated 5V is some kind of switching power supply. I'm not up on the
latest in this field, but I believe the cost of this approach is getting
lower as time passes.

Even low-dropout regulators require some headroom; depending on the
current you need, this can range from 100 mV to nearly 1V, giving you 5 V
out for input voltage of 6V, to be safe.
Ralph Tenny