[DPRG] Capacitor calculation

Subject: [DPRG] Capacitor calculation
From: R. Bickle rbickle at swbell.net
Date: Thu Jul 26 11:33:18 CDT 2001

Sir,

Sounds like you are driving the motor from a full-wave rectified supply.
What you want to do here is decide how much ripple voltage you can tolerate
at the output. Then you can calculate your capacitance by:

V(ripple) = I(load) / 2fC

so

C = I(load) / 2f * V(ripple)

A motor will not really care much about a clean supply though. To get low
ripple at 10 amps, you are going to need a tremendous amount of capacitance.

Rick Bickle