[DPRG] Researching Robotics Design Tools

Subject: [DPRG] Researching Robotics Design Tools
From: R. Bickle rbickle at swbell.net
Date: Tue Jun 12 10:08:44 CDT 2001

Kip,

I have read several good articles on the internet on how to tune PID
controllers. In fact, a friend of mine from UTD gave me a spreadsheet on
tuning calculations for various plants. (I can send it to you if you're
interested). The thing I was trying to work out is: How to measure the
actual motor speed as a function of the set speed. It would be great if you
could see a simple curve on a scope so that you could see the effect of
changes to each PID tuning parameter.

The only idea I have so far is to stream PWM numbers out on the serial port
and have a PC program to graph them. My plan is to make a motor control
module that has programmable tuning paramters to that anyone could use it
with any motor.

Rick Bickle