[DPRG] EV Gray motor as mentioned at RPL

Subject: [DPRG] EV Gray motor as mentioned at RPL
From: Mike McCarty jmccarty at ssd.usa.alcatel.com
Date: Fri Jun 15 11:42:59 CDT 2001

> "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." (Thomas Watson,
> chairman of IBM, 1943)

He was right. For the kind of computer he meant. Today, there is even
less market for that kind of computer.

> "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home."
> (Ken Olsen, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp.,
> 1977)

He was also right. Doesn't mean that people don't *want* to have
computers in their homes!

> "[It] is, of course, altogether valueless.... Ours has been the first, and
> will doubtless be the last, party of whites to visit this profitless
> locality." --Lt. Joseph D. Ives, Corps of Topographical Engineers, 1861, on
> the Grand Canyon.

He was and is right. I personally have absolutely no use for it. I
can't imagine why anyone would want to go there. I have a friend who
says he really enjoyed it. When pressed he simply says "You have to be
there." Something about it being soooo big. Well, I've been close to
the Earth for a long time, and it's even bigger, and I'm not impressed.
I can see the Sun and it's even bigger still. Don't want to go there.

> "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular
> Mechanics, 1949.

They were right. Some computers today do weigh no more than 1.5 tons.

> "We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out." --Decca
> Recording Co., in rejecting the Beatles, 1962.

I didn't/don't like their sound, either. But guitar music seems to be
here to stay.