[DPRG] HELP with 68HC11 stack problem

Subject: [DPRG] HELP with 68HC11 stack problem
From: Dean Hall dwhall256 at yahoo.com
Date: Wed Jun 20 13:29:39 CDT 2001

Clay,

Here's my guess:

The ability to access external RAM depends on the
level of the MODA and MODB pins at reset.  Sounds like
the HC11 is in single-chip mode at power-up and
pressing reset (with now-stable levels on MODA and
MODB) puts it in expanded (external memory) mode.

If this is the case, you need a "microprocessor
supervisor" that creates a low-going pulse some small
time after power-up.  MAXIM specializes in these
devices and will send you samples for free.  The
simple ones are 3-pin TO-92 packages; the fancy ones
with extra features are 6-pin SOIC.  You could even
make your own with an RC delay circuit feeding into a
low-going one-shot.

!!Dean