[DPRG] increased output drive by CMOS and TTL devices

Subject: [DPRG] increased output drive by CMOS and TTL devices
From: R. Bickle rbickle at swbell.net
Date: Wed Jun 27 11:15:47 CDT 2001

Tom,

Most logic families today use CMOS rather than BJT's. With the exception of
LS, AS, and F, all other logic families that come to mind use CMOS. All of
the newer technologies such as LS, LSTTL, HC, HCT and so forth are CMOS
devices. Some of these (the T and TTL versions) have adjusted the voltage
switching threshold in order to behave like TTL devices. (TTL swiches at
about 1.3 above ground while CMOS switches from 1/3 to 2/3 of VCC.) The
great advantage of CMOS is higher input impedance, better fanout, and much
lower power consumption.

You are right that BJT's in parallel will current hog, but I don't think
that's the case in most logic gates. I do agree that the best solution to
the problem is to use a separate driver transistor.

Rick