[DPRG] Robots in te news

Subject: [DPRG] Robots in te news
From: Mike McCarty jmccarty at ssd.usa.alcatel.com
Date: Fri Nov 2 11:36:27 CST 2001

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Ralph Tenny wrote:

> Blake:
> I'm with you! I don't consider the radio-controlled machines to be robots,
> but I guess "robot" is a handy term to spare mass media writers some
> effort when reporting these events.
> Ralph
>
> On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Blake Miller wrote:
>
> > IMHO,
> > It seems much harder to build a robot that thinks on its own than to build a
> > robot that you control.  (Anyone) could build a spinning piece of metal and
> > control it with a remote control...
> >
> > Try building a bot that thinks.
> >
> > :),
> > Blake

I'm not so sure that "anyone" could build one which spins as 3000 rpm.
That seems like a significant achievement (done by an amateur, that
is).

Here is the definition I found for robot

robot  n.

    1. A mechanical device that sometimes resembles a human and is
       capable of performing a variety of often complex human tasks on
       command or by being programmed in advance.

    2. A machine or device that operates automatically or by remote
       control.

    3. A person who works mechanically without original thought,
       especially one who responds automatically to the commands of
       others.

Has anyone built a bot that thinks?

Mike