[DPRG] Robots in te news

Subject: [DPRG] Robots in te news
From: Ralph Tenny rten at metronet.com
Date: Fri Nov 2 13:33:09 CST 2001

Blake:
see ###
Ralph

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Mike McCarty wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Ralph Tenny wrote:
>
> > Blake:
> > I'm with you! I don't consider the radio-controlled machines to be robots,
> > but I guess "robot" is a handy term to spare mass media writers some
> > effort when reporting these events.
> > Ralph
> >
> > On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Blake Miller wrote:
> >
> > > IMHO,
> > > It seems much harder to build a robot that thinks on its own than to build a
> > > robot that you control.  (Anyone) could build a spinning piece of metal and
> > > control it with a remote control...
> > >
> > > Try building a bot that thinks.
> > >
> > > :),
> > > Blake
>

> I'm not so sure that "anyone" could build one which spins as 3000 rpm.
> That seems like a significant achievement (done by an amateur, that
> is).
>
> Here is the definition I found for robot
>
> robot  n.
>
>     1. A mechanical device that sometimes resembles a human and is
>        capable of performing a variety of often complex human tasks on
>        command or by being programmed in advance.

## Does "on command" mean "Fetch a beer" (apology to Bill and Beerbot)
	OR a series of discrete commands that precisely defines the task,
           step by step?

>     2. A machine or device that operates automatically or by remote
>        control.
## Within the context of DPRG robots, does an automatic robot listen for
        its turn then go fetch cans?

>     3. A person who works mechanically without original thought,
>        especially one who responds automatically to the commands of
>        others.
>
> Has anyone built a bot that thinks?
>
> Mike
> --
## Obviously, the definition of "robot" depends heavily on context!