[DPRG] Autonomous Robot Battle (was: Robots in te news)

Subject: [DPRG] Autonomous Robot Battle (was: Robots in te news)
From: Dan Miner miner at centtech.com
Date: Fri Nov 2 17:37:46 CST 2001

> > What would be really cool is if I could port the logic to an
> > artificially intelligent battling robot : ), and we could
> > have smart wars : )
>
> Well having had my battle bot behave "surprisingly" do to an
> engineering issue (noise in the system affecting the receiver
> and thus generating unplanned motions) I can tell you that I
> will _never_ make my bot autonomous. Its ability to kill
> humans is just to dangerous.  I don't need  my passion to
> remove my limbs like Mark Pauline.

A perfect lead-in for something I just discovered last night.
Robots that you build and program and are 100% autonomous.
They also do battle until only one remains functioning.
100% safe 'cause it's in cyberspace.  ;-)

  http://www.roboforge.com/

Looks like a very fun and addicting way to get into robot
battle for very little cost.  I have (so far) resisted the
urge to download the demo since I know I'll get sucked into
the black hole of it all and will never be seen again.  :-)

				- Dan Miner