[DPRG] Getting Into PICs

Subject: [DPRG] Getting Into PICs
From: Dan Creagan dcreagan at bellevue.edu
Date: Thu Nov 15 08:07:28 CST 2001

IF you want to be reasonably serious, get a PicStart Plus programmer from
Microchip, get the book Easy Pic'n by Benson (http://www.amazon.com), buy a
couple of 16F84's, a couple of crystals (10 MHz for both) and take a weekend
to learn assembler.  It isn't too bad if you really want to do it ... those
who complain about Harvard architecture probably haven't looked at it for
longer than a heartbeat... there are only a couple dozen instructions (+) so
it isn't rocket science.

That will blow your $250 or so.

Later, get a compiler to take care of the pageing issues you will run into
when your programs start getting big.  I like Pic C by CCSC
http://www.ccsinfo.com/overview.html - it is cheap and a good choice for
hobbyists (and some pro's by email I've received in the past). But a high
level language is usually not a substitute for knowing the underlying
assembler.  Learn assembler first and you will never be at the mercy of a
third party language.

You can see some of the C code that I made from the assembler in Easy Pic'N
at: http://academic1.bellevue.edu/robots/pic1.html. That link might also
show you what it takes to set yourself up to learn it all.

Dan Creagan