[DPRG] Re: Robot Navigatiion

Subject: [DPRG] Re: Robot Navigatiion
From: RoboVac robovac at mninter.net
Date: Tue Nov 20 10:44:16 CST 2001

A good way to detect if the robot was picked up is to use tilt sensors.  Not
only do they detect being picked up, but driving over bumps/slopes.

Your robot will probably need two types of navigation, one for indoors and
one for outdoors.  The simplest indoor system is wall following.  This has
the robot drive parallel to a wall and use dead reckoning to measure how far
along the wall it goes.  Alternatively or in addition it could measure the
distance to the walls in front of or behind it to determine how far along
the wall being followed it is.

The outside wall of the house can also be used for navigation, but with only
a single wall in the field of view something else will be needed.  A cheap
and reliable way for navigation in a backyard is to use ultrasonic beacons.
The way these work is the robot sends a radio signal to the beacons.  The
beacons then emit an ultrasonic sound.  By measuring the time between
sending the radio signal and hearing the ultrasonic signal the distance is
known.  With the distance to 3 or more beacons the robot can calculate its
position.

The advantage of this is that the speed of sound is slow and easy to
measure.  Also the direction to the beacons does not have to be measured,
which is hard to do.

The disadvantages are that: the robot needs to be able to hear 3 beacons at
all times, the beacons need a direct line of sight to the robot at all
times, there should not be any ultrasonic reflectors to cause multiple paths
for the ultrasonic signal, and there should not be any sources of ultrasonic
noise around.

William Crolley