[DPRG] Re: "IT" to be revealed

Subject: [DPRG] Re: "IT" to be revealed
From: David P. Anderson dpa at io.isem.smu.edu
Date: Fri Nov 30 16:05:52 CST 2001

Howdy

Well, I don't have a robot balancing on two wheels yet!  But I have
suceeded in getting one to balance a pole with a ball on top, the
classic "inverted pendulum" of which bi-pedal hominids are an example.

Here's a picture of it balancing the pole/ball in my office (I don't
get much real work done on Friday afternoons!):

ftp://www.geology.smu.edu/pub/users/dpa/robo/nbot/b06.jpg

I took one of the three wheeled bases I've been working on and extended
the caster wheel to give the platform more stability.  Here it is
without the pole:

ftp://www.geology.smu.edu/pub/users/dpa/robo/nbot/b01.jpg

The pivot has a ball bearing in one end and a 5k pot on the other:

ftp://www.geology.smu.edu/pub/users/dpa/robo/nbot/b03.jpg

The pot has an opamp to precondition the signal for the 8 bit A/D
converter on the cpu board, an MIT 6.270 HC11 board.  It returns
about 7 counts per degree.

Mounted under the center of the pivot is an Analog Devices ADXL202
accelerometer for evaluation.  Here's another view of the pivot:

ftp://www.geology.smu.edu/pub/users/dpa/robo/nbot/b04.jpg

and another view of it hovering beside me as I take it's picture,

ftp://www.geology.smu.edu/pub/users/dpa/robo/nbot/b08.jpg

There is a 10 Meg mpeg movie of it balancing and some of me pushing
it around at:

ftp://www.geology.smu.edu/pub/users/dpa/robo/nbot/balance3.mpg

I'll try to make a smaller version and leave it at:

ftp://www.geology.smu.edu/pub/users/dpa/robo/nbot/balance4.mpg

cheers!
dpa