[DPRG] Dallas BEST

Subject: [DPRG] Dallas BEST
From: Rodent daweasel at swbell.net
Date: Fri Oct 26 18:55:42 CDT 2001

I'll tell you what I read and what I saw:

The object is to build an R/C robot to remove the fuel rods from a nuclear
reactor and put them in a storage container. The robot runs on an overhead
rail and has some sort of arm that grabs the rods. One student runs the
robot via radio, the other guides him with hand signals. No other members of
the team may help. Up to 4 teams compete at once. Not sure how its scored,
but they get points for moving their rods and they take points away from the
other team by stealing their rods and dropping them on the floor.

There are some really smart kids building and operating these things, and
the audience really gets into it. The Denton event is supposed to have 30
teams.

Apparently they come up with a new contest every year?

Being a Cowtown native, I think I'd rather drive 50 miles to Denton than
deal with Dallas traffic.