[DPRG] Wireless Ehternet (802.11 - Wi-Fi) for a robot

Subject: [DPRG] Wireless Ehternet (802.11 - Wi-Fi) for a robot
From: Ed Okerson eokerson at texasconnect.net
Date: Sun Dec 1 13:29:01 CST 2002

Jeff,

I am currently working on a robot that has 802.11b connectivity.  I am
going with the old laptop option, but rather than having another
controller to run the motors, I chose to use RTAI and Linux to run the
whole thing.  By using Linux I get great performance and lower memory
requrirements than other PC based OS's, as well as source code to
everything so I can optimize it however I want.  There are even open
source computer vision libraries that run on it:

http://www.intel.com/research/mrl/research/opencv/

By using RTAI you can generate stable PWM or servo pulses on output pins
on the parallel port, so there is little need for another controller
unless you simply need a lot more outputs.

Ed Okerson

Congrats on the new job!