[DPRG] Re: My Daughters Wheelchair (fwd)

Subject: [DPRG] Re: My Daughters Wheelchair (fwd)
From: David P. Anderson dpa at io.isem.smu.edu
Date: Sun Dec 1 19:50:01 CST 2002

David,

There are several projects which I've seen that address this very
problem.  M.I.T. has a project using off-the-shelf components, that
might be a good place to start:

	http://www.ai.mit.edu/people/holly/wheelesley/

Quoting from their web page:

> Our system, Wheelesley, consists of an electric wheelchair outfitted with
> a computer and sensors and a Macintosh Powerbook that
> is used for the user interface. The electric wheelchair kit was purchased from the
> KISS Institute for Practical Robotics in April 1995.
>
> The robot can travel semi-autonomously in an indoor environment. This allows the user
> to issue general directional commands and
> to rely upon the robot to carry out the low level routines such as object avoidance and wall following.

The KISS Institute for Practical Robotics (the botball people) have several other
wheelchair devices that might be useful:

	http://www.kipr.org/

good luck
dpa