[DPRG] Fw: Cruise control on wet roads (fwd)

Subject: [DPRG] Fw: Cruise control on wet roads (fwd)
From: Ray Renteria ray at troux.com
Date: Wed Dec 4 09:50:02 CST 2002

If vehicles had a simple "water displacers" in front of each wheel, most (at
least some) hydroplaning situations could be avoided outright.  Imagine a
wheel like the kind you find on a Razor scooter mounted on a retractable arm
that simply lowered itself right in front of each of the vehicle's tires.
It would be narrow and firm enough to penetrate a few inches of water and
part it it--clearing most of it out of the way for the car's tire.

     Car moving in --> this direction
     ---- |   o   | ----
           \     /    /
            '---'   O       <---- Retractable "razor" wheel

              ^

   Vehicle's -+
   tire

In driving safety classes, they always tell you to drive over the tracks of
the car in front of you because it will have already displaced some of the
water on the road.  This idea is based on that.

If the retractable wheel had a cross section like that of deep hull boat,
it would be more effective in penetrating and spreading the water:

          |         |
          |         |
          |         |       Bottom half of cross section.
           \       /
            '    '
              \ /
               -

It seems to me that these things could be activated with the windshield
wipers switch mechanism.

--Ray