[DPRG] Fw: Cruise control on wet roads (fwd)

Subject: [DPRG] Fw: Cruise control on wet roads (fwd)
From: Ray Renteria ray at troux.com
Date: Wed Dec 4 11:19:01 CST 2002

> Agreed. However, who cares if it hydroplanes, so long as it displaces a
> lot of the water? Touching or not, the effect is that the actual car
> wheels would not have hydroplane conditions.

If the displacer is hydroplaning, it's not displacing as much water as it
could be.  I guess you can argue that so long as it displaces "some" water,
the car's tire will be better off.  I would shoot for maximum displacement.

> Any level of water more than a fraction of an inch is too much to be
> driving into at high speed. Higher levels of water would be due to
> flooding, not rain. I doubt that even a "Texas Frog Strangler" rain would
> accumulate a deep layer on a modern highway. Besides, visibility is
> essentially zero in those conditions. Any driver who survives such a stunt
> is surely protected by the Hand of God.

It doesn't have to be raining for there to be water on the road.  I almost
lost it on my way to a DPRG meeting right after a rain.  Visibility was
great, but there's a part of I35 that's under construction and there were
areas where there was absolutely more than a fraction of an inch of water.
That's when this whole retractable wheel thing hit me.

--Ray

BTW, I meant to spell it "castor" not "caster."