[DPRG] Moto HC908 boards w/o CodeWarrior

Subject: [DPRG] Moto HC908 boards w/o CodeWarrior
From: Sluggy! slugmusk at linuxlegend.com
Date: Thu Dec 5 07:57:01 CST 2002

warm38 at juno.com wrote:

>Has anyone who received the Motorola evaluation board with
>the cute little HC908 tried [successfully] to work with the
>HC908 without CodeWarrior?

Life intrudes at home and has prevented me from actually having the free
time to connect to this jewel. That has not, however, shut off my brain
when I am at work. I keep thinking of applications that an 8 pin
Motorola MCU would be perfect for, even to the point of laying out a
quick circuit board or two.

>CodeWarrior has a 30-day limit and after that it is toast
>and then how do you program the little board?

You have to dig through Motorola's site at bit to find it, but you can
register this special edition version of CodeWarrior for free and
eliminate the 30-day expiration. The resulting URLs from Motorola's site
are all so long that they scroll most pages, so if you get to
http://e-www.motorola.com/ and search for "CDCWSEHC08" (CD CodeWarrior
Special Edition HC08), you will get the description page.

At the bottom of that page is a link

          Register here to receive your free license key for CodeWarrior
          Development Studio for HC08

that goes here:
 http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Secure/Eval/HC08/default.htm

Fill out the form, which does ask some marketing info questions, and
they email you with intructions and an attached text file that contains
the license info.

Long term, I don't want to be tied to Windows to use CodeWarrior, so I
am also looking for support for the chip under Linux. There are tons of
existing development tools because the Nitron series is just a subset of
the widely supported CPU8 family, so tools to write *code* are
everywhere. However, I have not stumbled across how to load the chip
with anything other than CodeWarrior. :/

>In a quick
>trip through the .pdf files, I musta missed "how to download
>a program".  Also I didnt see anything about a freebee
>asm program.

I found that information right after I received the board, but I will
need to find it again. The assembler is included with CodeWarrior, but I
do not yet know where/how/etc.

Especially now that I have an application or two in mind, I really need
to get this thing talking...

Sluggy!