[DPRG] Velocity Profiling move of RC Servos

Subject: [DPRG] Velocity Profiling move of RC Servos
From: Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Date: Sun Dec 8 17:35:01 CST 2002

> > Once an arm is completely profiled, the data is
> > installed in a kinematics
> > model of the manipulator and you use inverse
> > kinematics to accomplish
> > specific work cell goals.
>
> You, or anyone, got a good site or reference on kinematics and
> inverse kinematics?

My robotics Professor C.S. George Lee, at The University of Michigan  was a
nut about inverse kinematics.   He was writing a book about it, and our
class used the drafts of the book and found the errors in the equations in
the book. (Not easy!) This was in 1982 so I am sure they were fixed before
his book was published.  Here is his bibliography.

http://www.ece.purdue.edu/~csglee/book.html

There are two ways to make the calculations which end up with the same
result.  Basically we were solving the torque on each joint of an n-jointed
(usually 6) based on the position, velociety, and acceleration (and mass and
inertia) of all the joints above it.  Lots of matrix multiplications.  Nasty
formulas for both revolute (rotating) and prismatic (telescoping) joints at
any position.

We had to do the calculations both ways to make sure it was right.  It was
almost impossible to do more than a 2 jointed arm with a calculator.  And in
1982 we did not even have 4.77 MHz PCs.  (I wish I had Excel back then!)

Kip