[DPRG] Robot wheels

Subject: [DPRG] Robot wheels
From: Sluggy slugmusk at linuxlegend.com
Date: Mon Dec 9 20:54:01 CST 2002

Daryl Gallatin wrote:

> Is hacking stuff together common in the robotics field?

It's the rule rather than the exception for most folks. It's a matter of
pragmatism. Yes, turning your own wheels is very cool, finding cool
ready-to-go wheels is very cool, but the reality is that either costs
time and/or money, two resources that most of us are perilously short
on.

> K, I'll check out Home Depot

Although most of their products are wheels with bearings, check out the
caster places. Enter the keyword "caster" in a yellow pages search.
Should come back with at least a couple.

The casters I like are the ones with urethane tires. They are typically
very tough, don't squish much at all, but are still pretty sticky,
traction-wise. They tend to run small, though I know that there are 6
inch wheels of that design because I've seen them on carts. Prepare for
them to not be cheap, though....

Sluggy!