[DPRG] Velocity Profiling move of RC Servos

Subject: [DPRG] Velocity Profiling move of RC Servos
From: Randy M. Dumse rmd at newmicros.com
Date: Wed Dec 11 07:51:01 CST 2002

I'll have to look closer at the instructions and what we've got
in the fine details. The gripper joints are almost frictionless
(very loose) but the rod doesn't seem to move easily, so perhaps
it is caught in the cable or crimps as you suggest.

I was wrong about the servos. Apparently I've got all HS-322's
instead of 422's, which is surprizing.

I had over looked the life of the pot. Certainly from my old
days fixing radios and TV's (most of them were tube based back
then, if you can imagine!!!) after filment burn out, the rasping
of the volume control was the next most likely problem.
Certainly the pot must be the weak link in a servo (if not over
stressed otherwise).

I still like the idea of higher torque servos. The two servos
you have at the base to lift like a shoulder will either be able
to or not able to lift something at the end of the lever arm
based purely on how much torque they can generate. Then the
elbow above them, being a single servo out on the arm, again the
same is true. A substitution of a 100 oz. in. servo set would
allow the arm pick up over twice the load it can currently. But
as you say, if the potentiometers are crappy, and there's no
life to the arm... maybe that doesn't matter greatly, because
without a larger gripper, I don't have an application for the
arm beyond the learning experience (which is very valuable in
its own right, however).

You know, a bit of market feedback. Down here in Dallas, lots of
us dream of advancing some day to the point where we can give
David P Anderson a challenge at can can. That takes an arm which
can grip a can. And of course the next step up, is to be able to
pick up a fill canned drink of some sort. I wonder if you
wouldn't sell more arms if you had a kit big enough to deal with
can's.

Randy
www.newmicros.com