[DPRG] RE: Velocity Profiling move of RC Servos

Subject: [DPRG] RE: Velocity Profiling move of RC Servos
From: David P. Anderson dpa at io.isem.smu.edu
Date: Wed Dec 11 13:01:01 CST 2002

Howdy

Randy wrote:

> Down here in Dallas, lots of
> us dream of advancing some day to the point where we can give
> David P Anderson a challenge at can can. That takes an arm which
> can grip a can.

The gripper that SR04 uses to grab empty soda cans (also tennis balls)
is a pretty simple device, made from two servos -- one would probably
do -- and a couple of micro switches.  It can grab a variety of objects
up to about five inches diameter, and it is very fast.  For example, it
can catch soda cans and tennis balls on the fly if I roll them right to
it while it's running around.  Sort of like playing catch with a four-year
old.  Seems like there might be a robot contest in there somewhere...

I have some drawings and photos and a rudimentary assembly procedure
online. Check out:

http://geology.heroy.smu.edu/~dpa-www/robots/gripper/index.html

regards,
dpa