[DPRG] Velocity Profiling move of RC Servos

Subject: [DPRG] Velocity Profiling move of RC Servos
From: Earl Bollinger earlwbollinger at attbi.com
Date: Wed Dec 11 18:15:01 CST 2002

Today's servos seem to have much better pots over the servos from years ago.
When I worked at Proline Electronics (for anyone who doesn't know, they used
to make the best RC systems at that period in time), they used a special
wiper arm that had a carbon button to ensure the pots would be reliable in
model airplanes, and to improve the accuracy of the feedback measurements.
Most all the competition airplane and boat people used their radio systems.
During that period the pots were attrocious, really crummy stuff.
The current crop of radio systems seem to have much better quality pots
today. Of course the el-cheapo servos are excluded from this statement. I've
flown a number of RC models, some with considerable hours on them and the
"newer" servos never gave me any problems. Of course since the models were
very expensive, I used good, contest rated, ball bearing servos that cost
more than the cheapie ones. Back in the Proline days, I used to have to
disassemble the servos about every 20 hours and replace the pot element and
carbon button, to prevent problems from occurring.

The most common problem is the center, neutral position would get a bad spot
worn into the pot element, as that is the place where the servo is
positioned most of the time, thus the vibration and wear would eventually
get to it. Today, the better servos use a multi-fingered wiper that ensures
the pot wears more evenly over the single contact wiper units. I still see
the single wipers in the cheaper servos though, so that might be a problem
if you get a lot of hours on a servo.

So Randy, I don't think you need to worry about the pots, that'll be the
least of your problems.
Unless they gave you el-cheapo servos.

I don't think it's probably worth the effort to put in expensive ball
bearing servos, unless you need to reduce any slop of play in the arm
joints. Most of the high torque servos are taller over the regular ones, so
you may have problems getting them to fit.

It is a neat arm, nice job coding it up. Forth is still a mystery to me.