[DPRG] Re: Big Sumo Ring

Subject: [DPRG] Re: Big Sumo Ring
From: Earl Bollinger earlwbollinger at attbi.com
Date: Sun Dec 15 19:11:00 CST 2002

Thanks for the info Eric, that's most interesting.
You guys are so good at making metal thingies. I know I bought some thingies
>from them and they are good.
All we need then is a estimate on how much it would cost us, for you to make
the metal ring.
We can then get the DPRG membership to vote on it at the next meeting.

Oops, I guess we need to think about the wood frame some. Maybe a simple 2x4
frame setup would be
all that's needed. I don't see a reason to have the entire base as more or
less solid wood.
Of course I'd have to hit up a few Home Depots and Lowes to find several
straight 2x4's.Would countersinking a few screw/bolt holes be OK?
Or should we simply RTV the thing down to a frame?
A roll or two of masking tape, and a few cans of flat black and white
Rustoleum paint isn't a problem.

Looks like we might have to start thinking about what time of the year to
plan for a sumo competition. I would assume we'd want to have it at the
Science place.
Maybe including the Mini-Sumo (micro sumo?) events at that time might be fun
too. Just in case we
don't get a lot of 22cm x 22cm entries.
I see a RC novice class, RC advanced, Autonomous Novice and Autonomous
Advanced.
Maybe a Lego/Kynex class as well. Depends on the interest and entries.
Advanced would likely be the magnet, vaccumn, and custom sticky tire guys.
I would think that if you win 1st in novice you'd move up to the advanced
class at the next competition. That way others have a chance at winning too.