[DPRG] Re: Big Sumo Ring

Subject: [DPRG] Re: Big Sumo Ring
From: David P. Anderson dpa at io.isem.smu.edu
Date: Sun Dec 15 21:32:00 CST 2002

Howdy

not wanting to toss any wet blankets, but seems like
the cart may be out in front of the horse here.  Maybe
a quick survey of how many folks are interested in
competing in such a contest might be useful?

Actually, "interested in" has in the past turned out not
to be such a useful question.  Lots more folks will say
"yes" to that question than ever actually get around to
building anything.

Right now there are enough folks interested in mini-sumo,
and enough mini-sumo robots now are built and being built,
that this has naturally evolved into a DPRG sponsored event.
Seems to me that route makes a lot of sense.

Once we go to a steel surface, especially a new class with
special 5 foot ring, most folks won't be able to test and
practice at home anymore which, in my experience, puts a
severe damper on the number of people interested in building
and competing.

If there really are enough folks interested in the larger
design class to build, let's say conservatively, at least
two, maybe three robots, then maybe we should start out
with a simple wooden ring, and see where it leads us.

best
dpa