[DPRG] Servos

Subject: [DPRG] Servos
From: Gordon McComb gmccomb at gmccomb.com
Date: Wed Dec 18 18:57:01 CST 2002

AFAIK, the MX-400s are an "inhouse brand" of MPI/Maxx Products
(http://www.maxxprod.com/). I haven't tried them personally, but I haven't
heard anything bad about them. There are only really a few servo makers in
the world (most in Taiwan) and a peek inside one of these could reveal the
original maker. Go to the above Web site for the specs.

Others have suggested ServoCity as a source for discount servos, and I
concur. I'll just add they also don't charge shipping, making their prices
even more attractive. (Jim's price of $12.95 for HS-422 is also excellent,
and matches Brian's prices at ServoCity). I like their spec pages where
they note which servos can be "360" modified, but most any servo can be
modified -- the question is, how easy is it? Some aren't worth the trouble.

Randy, what mod were you doing that required desoldering the motor? Were
you going a complete gut-out, then driving the motor with a separate h-bridge?

I personally haven't found too many problems with the Grand Wing (GWS)
servos, and a number of robot kit makers use them (BasicX, Rogue, Mark III,
and maybe others, like the BOE-Bot). When they're modified, the pot doesn't
move anyway, or is removed. So maybe if the problem is a flakey pot it
doesn't show up a whole lot in modified servos. In any case, there are a
lot of bots out there with GWS servos, and they're easy to modify.

My personal fav is the Cirrus CS-71, which is modelled after the Futaba
S148. In fact, it can modified (non-solder) in exactly the same way as an
S148 and most GWS standard servos. Cirrus is an "inhouse" brand for Hobby
People and some others, and are made by a variety of OEMs.

-- Gordon