[DPRG] Servos

Subject: [DPRG] Servos
From: Ray Renteria ray at troux.com
Date: Thu Dec 19 10:26:01 CST 2002

Thanks for all the replies.  I've decided to go with ServoCity.  Based on
the feedback I received, I've concluded that the Hitec 322 is the best
quality/price mix I'm looking for.  There are longer-lasting servos out
there and some that are easier to modify for continuous rotation.  I'm not
looking for continuous rotation and I suspect this version of my bot won't
exist for more than six to twelve months.  So, longevity is not a big deal
either.

For those interested, here's what I found:

TotalRobots has 'em for about #8.00 each (that's about $12.72).
http://www.totalrobots.com/oopic_accessories.htm#hitecservomotor
<http://www.totalrobots.com/oopic_accessories.htm#hitecservomotor>

ServoCity has a 322 for $9.95 and free shipping.

<http://www.servocity.com/ServoCity/Products/Hitec_Servos/HS-322_Super_Delux
e/hs-322_super_deluxe.html>
http://www.servocity.com/ServoCity/Products/Hitec_Servos/HS-322_Super_Deluxe
/hs-322_super_deluxe.html

TowerHobbies has it for $9.99.
 <http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDEL6&P=7>
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDEL6&P=7

Acroname has the lower-grade "Standard Servo" for $10.90.
 <http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R29-MX-400.html>
http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R29-MX-400.html

..and a 322 for $15.00.
 <http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R84-HS-322.html>
http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R84-HS-322.html

LynxMotion doesn't have the 322 listed, but with a quantity discount of 10%
for six servos, Jim Frye graciously offered to them to me for $10 ea.

The MarkIII robot store sells a GWS for $10.25.
 <http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/Info.jsp?item=18>
http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/Info.jsp?item=18

Maxx has it for $9.99 but the shopping cart was broken and I couldn't
purchase if I wanted to.
 <http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi-15.htm> http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi-15.htm
($9.99) CGI problem with the shopping cart.

Balsa has a 322 for $9.99 but they're out of stock.

<http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/transRecvServ/hitecServoView.asp?ProductId=S
698193>
http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/transRecvServ/hitecServoView.asp?ProductId=S6
98193

Acroname was the most expensive at $15 a pop.  ServoCity was the cheapest
and the shipping is free.

For these price comparisons, I tried to find servos that closely matched the
322.  There are variants of the 322 and I didn't do a comprehensive
technical comparison between servos at the same price.  The gut feel I got
>from the emails I received is that Hitec makes a reasonably good servo and
my wallet (I'm buying six servos) says that $10 is about the right price.
My point:  This wasn't a scientific or consumer-reportish survey.  I make
this statement so that Maxx, Balsa, Acroname...etc, don't sue me.

Thanks for the advice and site suggestions everyone.  I'm going with
ServoCity.

--Ray