[DPRG] Servo Prices

Subject: [DPRG] Servo Prices
From: Sluggy slugmusk at linuxlegend.com
Date: Fri Dec 20 00:07:01 CST 2002

> Ray Renteria wrote:

> It's not only immoral to pay more than I have to, but it's
> just plain stupid.

It's *almost always* smartest to not pay any more than you have to, but
in calling it "immoral" to pay more than you have to, you lost me. I'm
not sure I know exactly what you mean.

> When I buy a product, I expect value.  Period.

The double edged thing about value is that it is quite subjective. Maybe
buying an $11 servo helps keep a vendor who specializes in robotics in
business. That would seem to be of higher value to me than to you.
Nothing wrong with that point of view, I just don't share it with you.
An extra dollar for that particular servo may help that vendor become a
source for some robotic part that I have not yet even dreamt of. The big
online R/C place will not likely ever carry that robotic item, not even
if I buy two dozen $10 servos from them. So, in order for the little
robot vendor to be able to offer me some trinket in the future, I am
willing to invest a dollar in his business now and I will try to double
my investment by convincing you to invest your dollar now, too.

I am also willing to pay a little more for a given widget if I can go
pick it up and examine it rather than risk mail order. I keep buying
widgets from my local vendor and he keeps finding more widgets for me to
buy. I'd rather drive to Tanner Electronics and buy, for example, a
PIC16C67 from them than to mail order it from Digi-Key. Tanner might
charge $0.30 more for it and I had to pay for fuel and wear & tear to
get there, but that's ok. If Tanner doesn't happen to carry that one,
ok, I order it from Digi-Key and pay shipping, but no tax, and wait a
couple of days for it. Depends on how much I value getting it now.

> TotalRobots.com is a prime example of a website that offers value to
> its customers.  They aren't always the cheapest, but they have the
> right relationships vendor, they have FANTASTIC products, and their
> website is one of the best I've seen--simple, clean, always growing,
> and no broken links!

Oops! Looks like we are closer together on that point that I first
thought...  :)

Sluggy!

--

NT is a weak form of Unix like a donut is
a weak form of a particle accelerator."

                          M.B. Cook