[DPRG] Solar still

Subject: [DPRG] Solar still
From: Ed Okerson eokerson at texasconnect.net
Date: Sat Dec 21 18:12:01 CST 2002

Sorry about the non-roboticcs post, but I remember some time back a
discussion here about solar stills.  As I recall, some were interested in
using them to smelt aluminum, or other metals.  Has anyone ever considered
using one to heat water?  I was thinking about an economical pool heater
design.  The typical solar pool heater only extends the swimming season by
a week or two, at a cost of a few thousand dollars.  If I am going to put
that kind of cash into a solar system, I want to swim a lot more than a
couple of more weeks.  Does anyone have any data on how to calculate the
potential heating capacity of these things?

Ed Okerson