[DPRG] Solar still

Subject: [DPRG] Solar still
From: Randy M. Dumse rmd at newmicros.com
Date: Mon Dec 23 16:25:01 CST 2002

Ed,

Found some formulas you can deal with on a very nice physics
site. (Not a bad idea to book mark this site, all, for good
explanations of many of the physical aspects encountered in
robotoics from time to time.) See
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/heatra.html#c1

One of the effects, radiative, goes up with the fourth power of
the temperature difference, even worse than I implied earlier.

Another factor that will work against you badly, which is not as
obvious as the others, is that of evaporation. Being in
relatively dry central California, the heated water will be
readily picked up by the dry cooler air, and the heat of
vaporization from the phase change from liquid to vapor will
draw away huge amounts of heat, the same way sweating keeps your
body cooled down. The bubble wrap covers probably help more than
you think, by limiting the amount of surface area from which
evaporation can occur.

Randy
www.newmicros.com