[DPRG] thermal glue

Subject: [DPRG] thermal glue
From: Daryl Gallatin dgall723 at mail.dal.devry.edu
Date: Tue Dec 24 14:45:01 CST 2002

Ok
I wan the motor through ammeter
It stared at 1.2Amps then dropped to between .99Amps and 1 Amp, right there at the limit of the H-bridge

So I guess its the motors

So I hooked up one of the motors that I do intend to use for the project. A Pittman GM913f277
24VDC
Gear ratio 65.5:1
manufactured in 6-14-88

It started up at .09Amps then dropped to .08 AMps for normal operation on 6volts battery. I inted to use 2ea 10V Nicad battery pack in parallel to provide power
Been running this for about 4 min and the H-bridge does not get hot

BTW, when I stopped the smaller motor it wouldn't start back up again. Guess I won't use the smaller ones for sumo bot :)

Thanks!

>>> <rten at new.metronet.com> 12/24/02 12:37 PM >>>
Darryl:
Any motor that runs hot, unloaded, is somehow being operated outside its
specs. I have run many motors, and never had a heating problem with proper
voltage applied. I suggest you start with (perhaps) three volts. If it
runs and has reasonable turque (try to stop it by pinching the turning
shaft with your thumb and forefinger. (Check to be sure there aren't any
burrs on the shaft!)

Run the input voltage through an ammeter. As you increase the voltage, the
run current will remain reasonably constant until you begin to apply too
much voltage. At that point, the current (and heat) will rise fairly
rapidly.
Ralph