[DPRG] ceramic magnets

Subject: [DPRG] ceramic magnets
From: Earl Bollinger earlwbollinger at attbi.com
Date: Sat Dec 28 21:56:07 CST 2002

This is the deinition as I understand it.
As far as I can tell, it still has a ferrous material in it, thus if air
(oxygen) and moisture (H2O) get past the outer seal coating, it's going to
rust.

Ceramic(Ferrite) magnets are made a composite of iron oxide and
barium/strontium carbonate. These materials are readily available and at a
lower cost than alnico making it desirable due to the lower cost. Ceramic
magnets are made using pressing and sintering. These magnets are brittle and
require diamond wheels if grinding is necessary. These magnets are also made
in different grades. Ceramic-1 is an isotropic grade with equal magnetic
properties in all directions. Ceramic grades 5 and 8 are anisotropic grades.
These two must be magnetized in the direction of pressing. Ceramic magnets
have a good balance of magnetic strength, resistance to demagnetizing and
economy. They are the most widely used magnets today.