[DPRG] ceramic magnets

Subject: [DPRG] ceramic magnets
From: Rodent daweasel at swbell.net
Date: Sat Dec 28 22:07:00 CST 2002

And before someone asks:

http://www.magnetsource.com/Consumer%20Pages/Carded_Cows.html

http://www.x-magnet.com/products/Newproducts/Cow_magnet.htm

Here is the explanation from one web page:

It happens that over the years of domestic breeding, cattle have had most of
the intelligence bred out of them. This may be convenient for some purposes,
but it has reached the point where it has made their grazing habits pretty
indiscriminate, and they scarf up scraps of metal along with the more
nutritious browse. (N.B., we're not talking about BSE-afflicted cows here,
just your ordinary ruminant of average-for-a-cow but still stupefiedly low
intelligence.) Too much of this, and cows can develop ``hardware disease.''

Treatment is to feed the afflicted cow or bull a strong little bar magnet --
a couple of inches long, no sharp edges -- which clumps together all the
metal (nails, bits of barbed wire) in the leathery first stomach (rumen), so
it doesn't get to the downstream, more easily perforated parts of the GI
tract. You get the magnet into the animal with the same device used to get
pills in.

********