[DPRG] Extinguishing the FireFighting candle

Subject: [DPRG] Extinguishing the FireFighting candle
From: Clay Timmons ctimmons at cadence.com
Date: Sun Feb 3 16:35:17 CST 2002

Today I bench tested my idea for using a water sprayer
to extinguish the flame for my firefighting robot.
Why water?  Most, nearly all, robots in the competition
used a fan to blow out the flame. While this can work and
is allowed by the rules I've seen many problems with it.
Many robots blow so hard the flame is sideways but not out.
I thought water would be a surefire (pun intended) to put
out the flame out.

First I tried a mini aerosol can of water (Hyrdrating mist
>from flying first class on Aitalia airlines).  This would
not put out the candle at 6".  The mist is way to fine and
the beam to wide.  It just made the flame sizzle a bit.
I also tried a small plastic water spray bottle.  The kind
you pump with the trigger.  This bottle had two spray settings
wide and narrow.  Wide is about 30 degree beam.  While not
as fine of mist as the aerosol can it was still not effective
at putting out the flame.  On fine it just squirts out a
stream of water like a squirt gun.  This will kill the flame
but only with a direct hit.  In fact I had trouble re-lighting
it afterwords!

Why am I rambling on about all this.  I just wanted to
tap in the collective to get ideas for firefighting.

Later,

-Clay Timmons-