[DPRG] Extinguishing the FireFighting candle

Subject: [DPRG] Extinguishing the FireFighting candle
From: Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Date: Sun Feb 3 18:13:31 CST 2002

Directing the spray is the big problem with water as you can see.

My concern with water is that you have to use a lot of it and have a direct
hit to be effective.

While it is allowed, it does cause a mess for the judges to clean up between
contestants.

How about a "sonic" blast?

I remember when I was in cub scouts, we took an old oatmeal container, cut a
dime size hole in the top. The rest was sealed. By flicking your finger on
the bottom, the big bottom forced a burst if air out the small hole.  I
wonder if something along that principle can be implemented.  Maybe with a
speaker.  Seal one side to a cone and have a small opening that you point at
the flame.  Changing polarity of the speaker should make it travel the
longest distance.  It may be enough to put out the candle.

I don't know if it will work, but it is a brainstorming idea for something
different.

Kip