[DPRG] Extinguishing the FireFighting candle

Subject: [DPRG] Extinguishing the FireFighting candle
From: Sluggy slugmusk at linuxlegend.com
Date: Sun Feb 3 21:24:55 CST 2002

Oops, I meant to send this to the list, not just Clay :)

-------------------

Clay Timmons wrote:

> Why am I rambling on about all this.  I just wanted to
> tap in the collective to get ideas for firefighting.

My favorite proposed method of extinquishing the candle is to utilize a
12 gram CO2 cartridge. I have experimented with a tire inflator device
found at a bicycle shop in which you load a cylinder and depress a lever
on the top to release a stream of fairly high pressure CO2. There is
enough velocity to blow out the candle, even with a fairly wide "beam",
plus the suffocation factor of CO2 has to help. The biggest drawback in
my implementation is the amount of force required to operate the valve.
To operate it with an RC servo require me to add a 4 inch lever to the
valve handle and use the servo like a cam to press it down. With this
arrangement, it is very easy to dump quite a lot of the gas just in the
time it takes to cycle the servo. I think a decent solenoid might serve
better, but without a handy one, I made the assumption that a low
current motor would be easier to control.

I have also entertained building something with my own valve, something
that would be much more compact than the modified inflator thingy.
Suitable hardware was difficult to locate, particularly in small sizes.
I found lots of 500 psi electrically operated valves, but they were all
bigger than the inflator assembly and most often required 110VAC to
operate.

One big advantage of such an arrangement over an electric fan is that it
is arguably easier to aim a nozzle at the end of a hose than to aim a
motor with fanblades. In my design the CO2 device and actuator were to
be
at the back on the robot, with the nozzle mounted on the same pan/tilt
servo as a camera. This way, the robot chassis needs not be aligned with
the flame.

I saw a winning firefighter design in a Circuit Cellar Ink magazine that
used an ozone safe camera lens duster with a servo operated lever
attached, but you have to be careful with those. Some of them use
propane
and that does NOT provide the desired extinguishing effect!

In about 1980, guy came by the two way radio shop where I worked. He was
selling halon fire extinguishers. He had a demo unit which was basically
a lens duster can full of halon. He would not sell any of these demos,
only the real extinquishers, but if such a thing were available, that
would likely be among the most effective of systems.

Sluggy!

"This breakthrough in goat nuclear transfer technology will move
our BioSteel program into the clinical testing phases earlier
than by using traditional strategies"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_889000/889951.stm