[DPRG] Contests at the Science Place

Subject: [DPRG] Contests at the Science Place
From: David P. Anderson dpa at io.isem.smu.edu
Date: Tue Feb 5 10:35:21 CST 2002

Howdy

Clay writes:

> Another option rather than break the beam type of sensing
> would be to use a vision system.  Using a QuickCam camera
> connected to a laptop looking down on the course from above.
> The software would detect when the robot crosses (visually obstructs)
> the white line and start and on-screen timer.
> The software would stop the timer when the robot crosses
> the finish.  Once everything is in software you can adjust
> for problems like crossing the line then backing up etc.
> The setup would be portable and useable for other contests as
> well.

The contest rules make a big point in all the different contests
of "completely over the line."  I think the means the whole robot,
not just it's wheels.

Clay's scheme seems the most likely to fit the rules.  I offer only
one small modification.  Use the "vision system" built into a human
being holding a stop watch.  Robust, easily adjustable, auto-correcting,
able to make accurate judgements about when the robot is "completely
over the line," easy to setup, and completely portable.

Most of our contest results don't really hang on exact precision
timing anyway.

cheers,
dpa