[DPRG] Re: Contests at the Science Place

Subject: [DPRG] Re: Contests at the Science Place
From: David Peterson robologist at yahoo.com
Date: Thu Feb 7 00:31:54 CST 2002

Interesting perspective, but not my intent for Quick Trip to "denegrate"
into a "drag race" though I've used that phrase in descriptions. What I was
attempting to put forth was a head to head competition, something more
visually entertaining for non-robot-building audiences to see. If you look
at a lot of different contests that are robot related, whether Battlebots,
sumo, or FIRST or even Soccer, the pitting of one robot directly against
another is what gets the "ooos" and "aahs" from the crowd, and maybe, just
maybe, gives them that little push to try it out for themselves. We builders
are quite content just to see our creations actually do what we hoped we
programmed them for in an event, but this doesn't really impress anyone who
hasn't actually tried to build one, the "now what exactly does it do?"
crowd. I still want the extra points for actually turning around (0-10
navagational skill?), not touching any walls, etc, but meant the splitting
of the Quicktrip course into 2 "drag strip" lanes as primarily for visuals,
putting on a show. I'm not wanting speed to be the primary concern, but a
show to impress a few folks might be good and might get a few more people
interested in joining the DPRG, trying out the technical aspects, and
actually build some more robots. Aren't we trying to encourage people to try
it out, maybe learn something?

David