[DPRG] Re: Contests at the Science Place

Subject: [DPRG] Re: Contests at the Science Place
From: Charlie W Youngblood chaz128 at juno.com
Date: Fri Feb 8 12:23:55 CST 2002

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 21:20:52 -0600 (CST) "David P. Anderson"
<dpa at io.isem.smu.edu> writes:

>Howdy
>
>Any type of timing, manual or electronic, sounds
>good to me.  Rick's timers sound very cool and also
>hi-tech and I'm sure will make a very nice addition
>to our contests.  I'm generally of the opinion that
>if a guy wants to do something, let 'em do it!
<little bit a snippin>

Great, can't wate to see the mockup!

>However ...
<snip>

>Extra points were awarded for robots that could turn
>around at the endpoints because that was considered more
>sophisticated behavior than just reversing the motors, and
>so was encouraged.
>
>Thus the points were weighted in such a way that the "smarter"
>robot got more points than the merely "faster" robot.  At one
>time, at any rate, each of the contests was considered a
>stepping stone to the next.  So the QuickTrip, down and back,
>was the simplest (some may remember the long-lost-Roger-
>Arrick's "OneBit" as the prototype).  Robots that had more
>advanced behaviors, like turning around at the endpoints,
>or demonstrating cognitive navigation, got more points.

Yes, I raced against Rogers legendary "no tran". It was a good
example of the low tech approach. I aggree with you in what
you are saying, maybe I didn't go into as much detail in my
explanation of why the rules are like they are. In one reply I was
merely saying that it is cool to see people who can get the most
out of what they have. Many people, many approaches. Flags
are good, bio-timers are good, electronic eyes are good.
Whatever works is good! Probably soon we will see the red
laser beam starting line. It's all good. Hope to see you Saturday.
:-)
	Charlie Youngblood

<lotta snippin of a lotta good stuff>