[DPRG] Robot math problems

Subject: [DPRG] Robot math problems
From: Mike McCarty jmccarty at ssd.usa.alcatel.com
Date: Wed Feb 13 14:06:56 CST 2002

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Clay Timmons wrote:

> Just working out a few robot navigation issues
> and thought I'd share a couple math problems
> I've encountered.  Have fun!  Took me about
> 10 minutes.

Really? Ten minutes? The first one is obvious, I thought. The other
took about 15 seconds of thought.

If these were posers, then how about this:

	A cable is being strung around the surface of the Earth at the
	equator at a height of 6 feet. After it is strung, the
	requirements change (don't they always?) and the cable must now
	be raised to 12 feet above the surface. How much additional
	cable must be inserted to raise the cable? (Assume the Earth is
	a perfect sphere.)

> If a 12" wide robot with 3" diameter wheels
> has one wheel going 1/2 the speed of the other
> it will go in a circle.
>
>    1) What diameter is that circle?
>
>    2) To make the robot go in a circle with
>       a 9" radius on the inside wheel
>       what speed should the inside wheel
>       go as a percentage of the outside wheel?
>

> I have solutions and will post answers next week.

Mike