[DPRG] Re: Robot math problems

Subject: [DPRG] Re: Robot math problems
From: Mike McCarty jmccarty at ssd.usa.alcatel.com
Date: Thu Feb 14 10:01:08 CST 2002

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Robert Houston wrote:

> 12(pi) is how much it must be lengthened
> bob
> Mike McCarty writes:
>
> > On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Rodent wrote:
> >
> >> 18.85 feet?

> > Low by a factor of about 2. (Probably would be exactly 2, except you
> > rounded off the answer.)

Really, given the OP, I had hoped that people would wait until next week
to get the answer. I (and I believe the OP) had hoped that it would give
people some mental juice.

Especially, I was trying to get people to understand the underlying
concept, and see that it crops up in places seemingly not related to
robotics. I had hoped to get some ideas to collide in people's minds,
so that they would start looking for patterns and connections.

I believe it was Picasso who said "Computers are useless. They only give
answers."

Well, I disagree with him. But I think he had a point. Mathematics is
the science and art of noticing patterns and correspondences where one
would not normally expect to see them.

Mike