[DPRG] How does the GPL work?

Subject: [DPRG] How does the GPL work?
From: Chuck McManis cmcmanis at mcmanis.com
Date: Fri May 31 19:17:31 CDT 2002

At 04:19 PM 5/31/02, William Harold Newman wrote:
>And there are at least two
>GPL variants (plain vanilla GPL and LGPL) which differ on what you're
>allowed to do with linking.

And the LGPL is much more forgiving and the FSF makes it clear that they
don't approve of it.[1]

>Gads. The license flamewar thing has been done before, and probably
>doesn't belong here. Hopefully a remark like "that's not clear to
>everyone" will damp things down rather than flare things up, so I'll
>say: I'm a over-the-top advocate of free markets and I've done a lot
>of work on a free software system (http://sbcl.sourceforge.net/) for
>which I chose a non-viral license, so I don't think I have much of an
>axe to grind when I opine that the GNU license doesn't appear to be
>evil (*evil*? Geeze. annoying, maybe...), and that the proposition
>"GPL is evil" certainly doesn't follow from "capitalist and not
>marxist" economic theory.

You're correct of course. I intend neither a troll nor a flamewar. "Evil"
is the subjective version of adjective "bad". My use of the term evil
rather than bad represents what I understand of the intent behind GPL.

--Chuck

[1] <http://www.fsf.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html>