[DPRG] DPRG Micro robots

Subject: [DPRG] DPRG Micro robots
From: David Peterson robodave1 at attbi.com
Date: Fri Nov 1 02:09:02 CST 2002

Hi Earl
   Pico is really smaller than nano. Going smallest to bigger, Femto refers
to a multiplier of  10^-15,  Pico is 10^-12, Nano is 10^-9, Micro is 10^-6.
Don't ya just love those metric prefixes? So I guess mini is supposed to be
a parallel to Milli, 10^-3, maybe. Wouldn't one class technically be 10 or
1000 times smaller than the last, rather than halves? Oh well.

   About micro-sumo weights, all I've read adhered to is the 100 g value, at
the NWRST, PARTs, and RoboMaxx where they've actually competed. If you look
at the different weights of the classes it sort of makes sense. A full size
is 20 cm by 20 cm and weighs 3000 grams, coming out to 7.5 grams per square
centimeter. A minisumo is 500 grams and is 10 cm by 10 cm, coming out to 5
grams per cm ^2. A micro at 5 cm by 5 cm for an area of 25 square should
point to 100 grams (actually less) giving it 4 grams per square cm, sort of
a close continuation. At 200 grams it would become 8 grams per square cm,
even more grams per square centimeter than Full size allows. If you assumed
similar height restriction to full sized and minisumo classes, and used a
volumetric measure, then full would be 0.375 grams per cubic cm, mini would
be 0.5 g/cm^3, micro would be 0.8 g/cm^3 at 100 grams. At 200 grams it
becomes 1.6 grams per cubic centimeter, way out of the ball park.  No weight
limit has been shown for the Nano-sumo size, just getting one built that
small is probably difficult enough. Haven't actually seen a Nano yet, but it
should be pretty cute. I do remember seeing a Micro pushing an apple around
at Robothon, pretty cool.

Dave