[DPRG] Re: Mini Sumo and the popular Vacuum/Magnet issue

Subject: [DPRG] Re: Mini Sumo and the popular Vacuum/Magnet issue
From: David P. Anderson dpa at io.isem.smu.edu
Date: Fri Nov 1 16:22:00 CST 2002

Hi

Pete writes:

> This is probably one of the most contested issues in amature robotics I have
> seen in the last 5 years.

Amen.

Lest there be any further confusion let me clarify that I for one have
no opinion about magnets and vacuums and mini-sumo one way or the other.
Pete knows far more about these subjects than I, as already mentioned.

My hot button is the much narrower issue of designing club activities
based on audience appeal, which I've found is often antithetical to
robot builders' interests.

I applaud Pete's most recent posting for supplying cogent technical
reasons for practical robot competition approaches.   Competitive
evolution is inevitable.

I believe that David Petersen's original post which launched all this
discussion was also fairly ambivalent toward the use of particular
technologies.

I think we are perhaps discussing two separate and distinct topics here,
maybe even three.

best regards,
dpa