[DPRG] Mini Sumo and the popular Vacuum/Magnet issue

Subject: [DPRG] Mini Sumo and the popular Vacuum/Magnet issue
From: Jeff Sampson jsampson at pobox.com
Date: Fri Nov 1 18:03:00 CST 2002

> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 13:40:29 -0800
> From: "Pete Miles" <petem at ormondllc.com>
> To: dprglist at dprg.org
> Subject: [DPRG] Mini Sumo and the popular Vacuum/Magnet issue

[snip]

> Now lets talk about vacuum.
>
> First, it is highly unlikely that someone will build a robot with a vacuum
> system in a mini sumo.  But someone might, and it will be a really
> innovative design.  I do have a 1 inch cube vacuum pump I got from Gast
> Manufacturing for $50.  I am hoping to make a vacuum mini sumo with it.  It
> is more of an experiment just to see if I can do it.  One thing is for sure,
> the crowd will be very impressed to see a vacuum robot compete on a glass
> window.  You can almost make a contest with a sheet of glass held
> vertically, and the sumo compete on the glass.  You will have literally 360
> degree viewing of the contest.
>
> If you allow magnets, you might as well add vacuum
>
> Vacuum on a 20 cm square sumo is easy a lot easier than people think.  A
> good vacuum pump from Medo costs only $60.  And most of the Japanese use teh
> same pump you can get in the U.S.  Vacuum cups are easy to build.   I built
> a pretty good vacuum system in one evening using Sintra plastic, rubber
> cement, some foam rubber, and a coping saw.  It sticks to the wall quite
> well.

This isn't a mini sumo, but Bill Arden has a vacuum robot:

http://tcrobots.org/members/barde.htm

It is amazing to see it drive around on walls and windows.

There are more pictures in our "Meetings" section:

http://tcrobots.org/mtgpics/2002/0202.htm
http://tcrobots.org/mtgpics/2002/0203.htm
http://tcrobots.org/mtgpics/2002/0206.htm

--