[DPRG] Re: A modest proposal

Subject: [DPRG] Re: A modest proposal
From: Earl Bollinger earlwbollinger at attbi.com
Date: Fri Nov 1 18:40:02 CST 2002

Never say never.
As soon as somebody figures out how to get a steel regulation sumo ring
built and can get it carried in. They would start building robots to
take advantage of it.
The problem is carrying it in. That sucker is what? 5 feet across? At least
3/8th to 1/2 inch thick. Even if you went for 1/4" with a web framework,
that sucker is heavy.
Heck, just getting a 5 foot across wood sumo ring carried in is a big deal
actually.
Steel, what are we talking about, 200-250 pounds here? for the ring? Hernia
time not Miller time.

But it would be spectacular. I don't know about the vaccum being any good,
but these new magnets like out of a HD, could be placed so that they are
about 1/16th inch off the deck. You'd quadruple+ your robot's weight on a
steel ring. Definitely get some traction there.

The problem is I don't think we have anyone in the area with a sumo in this
size class. All I see are mini-sumos at this time.

Is there anyone in DPRG with a 22cm sized autonomous robot?